Thursday, September 18, 2014

True Confession....Uncensored and unedited

I have long been wanting to revive this sad little blog of mine and this seems like a good opportunity.  I love Seth Apters blog and a few days ago he asked artists to post their studio space and work tables just as they are...kind of like those old come as you are parties.  I have company coming and was about ready to tidy up today when I decided to take the challenge and post my messy studio space.

So here's the thing.  If a studio and work table are messy it can only mean one thing-creative things are happening there.. paint is being splattered, paper is being ripped and cut, scissors and paint brushes are flying, ink is flowing, etc., etc., etc.  As I looked thru the links on Seth's blog I realized I am in good company.  No matter how much space, how much storage, how many or how few art supplies (though most of us have many!) studios where artists are showing up and doing what they love are messy.  And beautiful!

And here's another thing.  I doubt that many of us would photograph and post our other messy spaces and we all have them.  Dirty dishes in our sinks and on the counters, unmade beds, dirty laundry, dusty furniture, grimy ceiling fans, unswept carpets, etc., etc., etc.  But we love our creative spaces and we love to share them with other artists because we know they get it.   And if they are like me, love the mess, feel safe in the mess, know where everything is in the mess, find serendipitous discoveries in the mess, breathe and relax in the mess, and most important find ourselves in the mess.

Yes all this time I have been away from this blog I have been creating a mess, almost daily and I have loved every minute of mess making.


baskets full papers


wet table-used for painting
view from the steps up to the studio

works and journals in progress

baskets full of collage materials

antique drawing table for dry work, drawing, collage

stuff

stuff

favorite things
reading materials

folding screen to hide the mess

other side


two collages for 100 days of collage

comfy chair to relax, read, and get inspired
Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. What a great space. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - lots of space AND clearly a well loved creative place. All those over-stuffed bins and stacks of papers - makes me want to poke around and see more of your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great space - I need to get a folding screen - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks familiar and inviting - with creative possibilities in every corner! And a great chair for resting/imagining. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful treasures! Fantastic art space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to sit in that chair and spend hours taking in your creative space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place to play! I think see a bird theme going on. Happy, happy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply adore your folding screen that hides the mess. I love how you've decorated it, too. You have some truly amazing storage spaces, too. Thanks for showing us where you go to play.

    ReplyDelete