Tuesday, April 10, 2012

And now for something completely different.....

Hope everyone had a great Easter or Passover celebration.  I was lucky enough to spend mine with my son,daughter-in-law and two of my grandsons so it was full of joy!  I love this time of year and all it symbolizes to me-new beginnings, growth, hope.  So for new beginnings I'm taking a class online from Julie Prichard.  I've taken classes from her before and loved them.  And I think they are a bargain!  Lot's of videos with tons of information and great PDFs.  Also lot's of online support and encouragement from the instructor and other students.  I highly recommend them if you get a chance.



So this class is a little more abstract and first assignment was to journal with vintage papers and rip and tear with abandon.  I thought it was going to be easy for me because I love old paper, vintage look and tearing and pasting.  Well it was a lot harder than I thought and I'm still trying to let go and embrace imperfection.

This was my first attempt-glued, ripped up, reglued.  I ended up putting the red dots on top with a pattern tracing wheel to try to unify pieces taking the idea of lines from the ledger paper.
I tried to be a little bit looser with my next attempt.  I so disliked it that I covered it in brown ink, Ranger Espresso, and wiped back the ink with a damp cloth.  It was interesting to see how the ink took to the different papers but I wasn't crazy about the results.

The next one I liked a little better but had to use some paint again to try to bring it together.  The last attempt was the one at the beginning of this post and I forced myself to let it be after the gluing, ripping back, and regluing.  We also did some light sanding to add to the vintage look and that was interesting.  Somehow all of this is going to lead to abstract grunge paintings which is what the class is about.  Guess I'll just have to go with the flow and trust the process.  Stay tuned................

1 comment:

  1. I love them all! I think I am going to like "abstract grunge".

    ReplyDelete