Thursday, February 9, 2012

An unwanted visitor

One of the reasons I started this blog was to be held accountable for showing up in the studio and sharing my art.  And why have I not done that lately?.....


An unwanted visitor has been residing in my treehouse studio.  See her over there in the chair?  No?  Let me describe her.  She sits perfectly straight-no slouching for her-legs crossed,wearing a perfectly pressed matching outfit.  Her perfectly coifed hairdo has not one streak of gray and her fingernails are pristine clean and filed to perfect ovals with clear nailpolish.  She is turning the pages of an art history book and looks over the reading glasses perched on her upturned nose  and with perfectly pursed lips says to me, "You call yourself an artist?!?".  Yes friends, my INNER CRITIC has arrived and taken up residence.  I didn't invite her, never do, but she shows up quite often, unannounced.  She does her best to bring any insecurities and doubts about being an artist to the surface.  Often she tries to drown my artful spirit with comparisons to the work of artists I admire, reminding me of what I should be doing instead of "wasting time" in the studio and looking for perfection in whatever I attempt.

Oh she's a tough one allright, but what she forgets is that I am tougher because my desire to simply "make art" is stronger than her criticism.  She may set me back a little but she doesn"t win because just as I have to breathe, I have to make art- not perfect, not like others, not art history book ready, but mine, mistakes and all.

So Ms. INNER CRITIC get your sorry ass out of my studio.... because today I'm going to be sloppy, messy, paint with abandon, make mistakes, and learn from my mistakes.  I'm going to show up each day whether you like it or not.  Oh yes ma'am, I'm going to show up and I'm going to be happy!



4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, loving you journaling...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura. I have admired your work for quite some time and really enjoy your blog-quite inspiring. I am loving journaling and plan to keep it up.

      Delete
  2. Slam the door on that woman!

    Nice journal pages : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you gave Ms. Critic the boot! She visits me quite frequently, too, but the best antidote appears to be making art!

    ReplyDelete