Monday, February 27, 2012

Messy Journaling

I have been spending some time in the studio but certainly not as much as I would like.  Still working along with Misty's class-slowly but surely.  Our last journal assignment was "messy journaling" using a lot of the techniques we have learned and a prompt of "On my journey I will need".  I really enjoyed this journaling method and am looking forward to using it more.  Was it messy?  Oh yeah!
First I gathered my favorite papers-old book pages, sheet music, ledger paper, dictionary pages, etc.  Also chose some materials for texture making-stencils, sequin waste, stamps, etc. and and decided on some colors.  I'm usually not so organized when I journal-tend to just grab and go but this was an assignment so got everything together first.

The first step was to glue down the selected papers randomly not paying to much attention to composition at this point.  Fun.  I also pulled some of the paper off while the gel medium was still wet to get a little texture. Next step-scrape some paint over papers which I did with an old credit card letting some papers show through-more fun.  Then added some more paint and started making marks with the texture materials. This step was the most fun for me.  I both layed down paint, and ragged paint off with the stencils and used paint anf ink with the stamps-lots of layers-just kept going 'till I liked what I saw.


             









Added some more collage elements and papers and then did some journaling  and finished it off with some water soluble crayons.

I enjoyed the process so much that I decided to do another page and was very influenced by the fresh snow on the trees after our midwest snowstorm.
Hope you all had a great weekend.  I'm going to repeat the class starting with week one. Hopefully I'll get up to the treehouse studio each day if only for a quick sketch or journal page.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment